The story behind the Virtual Guest Teacher Program...
To Keep Your Practice and Studio Afloat.
I hope this finds you and your loved ones staying well as we navigate these uncertain times.
I have a lot to be thankful for these days. From a professional perspective, I feel fortunate to have been teaching yoga online for several years. I also feel incredibly honored to have built an international community of yogis — many who are teachers — who are struggling with how to continue to support their students and studios right now. This is not a position or responsibility I take lightly.
Here’s the question we’ve been sitting with:
How can we help support local teachers to generate an income stream during this time?
One of the things I’ve always stood for is the power and importance of local yoga communities. During these times when we cannot gather physically, I have been so impressed with the way many of my colleagues are stepping forward to offer their teaching online.
Here’s what I know:
- The learning curve involved with this, and the time and energy it takes, and I applaud everyone’s tremendous efforts.
- Not all independent teachers are in a position to offer online classes, whether because of technological constraints or equipment, or simply more immediate demands on their time and energy.
- Every teacher is doing their best to serve and support their communities right now.
We believe it’s important that teachers continue to receive compensation for their offerings right now. For this reason, we don’t feel that offering free content is the solution that will best support teachers and the yoga community at large in the long run.
Given all this, here’s what we came up with:
Our Virtual Guest Teacher Program will offer all yoga teachers the opportunity to offer one of my classes to their students and receive the lion’s share of the income their sales generate.
Here’s how it works:
- We’ll release a new class every Friday morning.
- This class will be available for one week only, until the following Thursday night.
- Participating teachers will be able to share this class with their community.
- Students pay $8 CAD or $7 USD per class. They can access the class as many times as they would like during the week it is available.
- 80% of the proceeds from each sale goes back to the teacher the student purchases it from.
- We’re making this program flexible. Teachers and students can participate anytime they wish, there is no long-term commitment required.
We also know that not everyone reading this is connected to a teacher or an in-person community. This is why you will also be able to access these weekly classes directly from my website. However, if at all possible, we recommend you purchase these classes through a teacher. Again, the intention here is to support independent studios and teachers.
If you have a teacher, or know one who could benefit from this, you can encourage them to become an affiliate with us.
Our intention is to stand in solidarity with yoga teachers everywhere, so that these practices can remain widely available at a time when they are so needed.
We appreciate your help in spreading the word, and in continuing to support your local teachers.