The Skillful Yogi: Online Mentoring Program for Yoga Teachers
with Barrie Risman, E-RYT 500, YACEP
September 2017 - February 2018
Use code: summerspecial at checkout to make your deposit before July 31. (Program payment is due in full by September 15, 2017. You will receive an e-mail reminder at the beginning of September.)
- Are you a yoga teacher ready to take your practice and teaching to a deeper level of skill and understanding?
- Do you want to refine your teaching skills and advance your practice without committing to a costly and time-consuming training program?
- Are you a recent graduate of a 200-hour training program with questions based on your real-life teaching experience?
What is The Skillful Yogi and what will I get out of it?
The Skillful Yogi is a unique, 6-month professional development program for yoga teachers to engage with your personal practice, explore the teachings of yoga and refine your teaching skills by working closely with seasoned teachers and being part of stimulating and supportive learning community.
The Skillful Yogi is NOT an advanced teacher training, yet you will grow and improve in your teaching in ways you would not have expected. It is a dynamic continuing education program designed to support new teachers in all aspects of becoming an inspiring, effective teacher and integrating the wealth of knowledge and skills you received in your training.
Our online format is accessible and convenient. You can work with the materials provided at your own pace and when it works for you. The program content is engaging and rich, providing a powerful opportunity for your advancement as a yoga teacher, with personal one-on-one feedback in all areas of your yoga practice and teaching. Read more about why I created this program here.
What does the program consist of?
Over the course of 6 months, you will take part in 3 sessions, each 6-weeks long. All sessions include:
- Personal support and mentoring in all aspects of great teaching
- Weekly videos, handouts and support materials
- Online Forum for Q&A and discussion
- In-person gatherings in locations with a local host.
- Teaching self-assessment and action plan
- Access to all course materials for one year
- Maximum of 20 participants
PLUS: You'll also receive 8 additional 90-minute practice videos with guided sequences for:
- Hip Openers (Padmasana)
- Arm Balances (Visvamitrasana)
- Spinal Twists
- Backbends (Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Forward Bends
- Hip Openers (Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana)
- Arm Balances (Vasisthasana)
Our 2017-8 program is offered in three 6-week sessions:
SESSION ONE: Engage with your Personal Practice
Backbends, Inversions and Restorative Postures
September 18 – October 28, 2017
Explore alignment-based technique to unfold the intelligence of the body through optimal alignment and action in asana. Be supported to take your personal practice and teaching to the next level. Session includes:
- 3 practice sequences in 60 and 90-minute versions including written and recorded sequences.
- Additional mini-sequences for more specialized work in poses.
- Weekly discussion on refining your teaching skills.
- Keys to effective and creative class planning and sequencing strategies for your classes and workshops.
- Individual guidance for optimizing your personal practice working toward your goals.
SESSION TWO: Deepen Your Understanding of Yogic Wisdom
Essential Teachings of Non-dual Tantra
November 6 – December 15, 2017
Embark on a process of guided inquiry into the sublime teachings of the yoga tradition through study, discussion and personal contemplation. Explore your experience and understanding of the teachings: how they hold true for you and how to share them with students. Session includes:
- Weekly discussions on key teachings of the yoga tradition.
- Integrating yogic wisdom into your classes in authentic and inspiring ways to make your teaching even more impactful.
- Readings and contemplation questions for reflection.
- Online forum for asking questions, exploring key learnings and sharing insights.
SESSION THREE: Refine Your Teaching Skills
January 8 – February 16, 2018
Make your teaching even more impactful, inspiring and effective. Learn keys to effective and creative class planning as well as sequencing strategies for your classes and workshops. Session also includes:
- Weekly discussion on teaching skills based on the group’s needs, but sure to include effective instructions and more.
- Teaching self-assessment and action plan.
- Individual support and input for working toward your goals.
What Yoga Teachers are Saying About this Program
"Thank you for an amazing course filled with valuable information. Please continue to do what you do. Your love and dedication of yoga shines through in the delivery of this training. I would highly recommend this course to others."~ Diane Bellefontaine
"I couldn’t imagine that I would benefit so much from an online course." ~ Mariane Thorberg
"Everything from cost, to online format, content was amazing." ~ Katherine Giard
"An incredibly enlightening and uplifting experience. ~ Cary Lawrence
It was a fabulous session exactly what I had hoped it would be. It got me immersed in my practice and gave me many ideas on how to get myself to my mat, and what to do on my mat once I got there! Thank you for a wonderful course, and for all your time and energy ~ Megan Morgan
I thoroughly enjoyed all of the material presented, the way the course was organized and the way it was taught. This course has helped me take both my teaching and my personal practice to a new level...~ Diane Bellefontaine
You are amazing! Thanks so much for offering this program. It is really nice to have a the support of a community like this to grow as a yoga teacher and also as an individual! ~ Nicole Blackwood
A most thoughtfully designed program of teachings and methods of working with them... Not everyone has the means or opportunity to attend workshops regularly, these sessions inspire and inform my practices. Truly grateful for all this~ Milda Graham
Barrie is not only an amazing teacher but her material is beautifully structured and detailed, addressing both our bigger community of teachers (of various backgrounds) and our individual needs for our personal journeys...I really loved how you so generously shared so much with all of us and I can feel the love through the attention to detail and giving us personal advice. It’s greatly appreciated! THANK YOU for a unique program! Your organization and mastery of the course and the material is very inspiring! ~ Mariane Thorberg
Your insights, the exercises and the experiences and insights of all who shared in this session, felt like I jumped out of a kiddie pool and dove into an ocean of wealth, beauty and promise. ~ Joanna Mathioudakis
I appreciate that you invest so much of your guidance and knowledge to others! Thank you! I feel privileged to have been part of this. ~ Katherine Giard
I want to thank you for all you did to make the mentoring program such a gratifying, edifying, inspiring experience. It went far beyond my expectations and has given me a fantastic template for furthering study on my own. I was extremely impressed by the professionalism, the attention to detail, the format, the content, but most of all, by your generosity in being willing to attend to all the individual needs of the participants.~ Cindy Durack
I feel encouraged and motivated to believe and trust in my ability to share my passion for Yoga…Even after just 3 weeks I have a sense that my practice has deepened and that my perspective has changed.~ Maud Hansen
I love how you teach, Barrie. You are so generous with your wisdom and yet you know just how much we need at this moment in time. ~ Susan MacPhee
The Skilful Yogi Mentoring Course is the best kept secret in the yoga world .~ Cary Lawrence
I felt I learned a lot - particularly around a way of working with philosophy in teaching that felt much more approachable, authentic and grounded in lived experience for me.~ Sara Lamb
You cover an amazing amount of material in the meetings, and quite a wide spectrum between philosophy, teaching/class planning tips, and specifics about poses. I'm really grateful for all of it, it's very helpful to me.~ Tracy Murdoch
You will grow in way you do not expect. The skill set of the teaching is exceptional. Well worth the investment. ~ Gerard MacPhee
- Successful completion of a 200-hour teacher training or equivalent
- Reliable internet access for downloading video and written course materials.
- Active Facebook account
Cost: $595CDN plus taxes Payment plans are available.